(NOTE: I will not use the terms ‘departed, deceased, or dead’ since those have such strongly entrenched – and, according to much contemporary evidence – erroneous meanings about the end of life. Instead, I will use more accurate terms: changed worlds, passed on, physical or bodily death / die, orcrossed over. Other more factual descriptors for what happens after physical death include: transitioned / moved to the next phase of forever, reentered the field of all possibilities, dropped the body, andgraduated from earth-school.)
Your five senses may indicate that you are just your physical body but, in truth, you are much more than that. This scientific fact has everything to do withhow you handle life’s biggest changes and challenges: the bodily death of loved ones, financial loss, serious illness and disability, broken relationships, etc. You know the list.
Here are a few facts that indicate just how little of reality you likely perceive:
- most humans perceive much less than 1% of reality with their senses
- much of the brain’s function is inhibitory, that is, it limitswhat you can sense; otherwise, you would be bombarded by sensory input and unable to function
- if all the existing light and energy (what life is ultimately comprised of) in our world were the size of Mt. Everest, your five senses can only detect a golf ball-sized portion. As such, most humans are looking at life through a pinhole in a wall while thinking they are seeing the full picture.
The universe is amazingly vast on a macroscale (to get a better sense of this, watch the Hubble 3Dmovie):
- our planet is traveling at 66,000 miles per hour, traveling around the sun each year, and rotating on its axis. And yet, to human senses, the Earth appears to be standing still
- approximately 200 billion stars like our Sun exist in our galaxy, the Milky Way
- over 100 billion galaxies exist within just the currently known physical universe
- in this vast universe, nebulae spew forth cocoons of energy and matter that have the potential to birth new galaxies
- high energy physicists theorize the existence of multiple universes and dimensionsin an ever-expanding cosmos. This thinking opens the way for the possibility of simultaneous or parallel realities.
Now let’s go the other way, on a micro scale (to gain a better sense of this, view a drop of pond water through a microscope):
- your body’s 15 trillion or so cells each have smallercomponents (organelles)
- these, in turn, consist of molecules, atoms and sub-atomic particles (protons, neutrons, electrons) that are made of even smallerparticles (quarks, etc.)
- if the nucleus of a hydrogen molecule were the size of a marble, its single electron would be ½ mile away; that’s a lot of space amidst seeming solidity
- upon closer inspection, the smallest particles have properties of both a waveand a particle, existing as an interplay between energy and matter
What’s all this have to do with spiritual awareness? Simply put, everything.
Millennia ago, humans understandably had a difficult time comprehending the vastness of life. They did the best they could, but had only their five senses with which to collect data. As such, almost all of them had a very narrow view of reality. They devised stories in an attempt to make sense of what was going on and those stories were passed down through the ages.
From their limited perspective, what could be seen was realwhile everything else was imaginary– from a materialism viewpoint – or spiritualfrom a religious standpoint. Scary events such as catastrophes, illness and death were thought to be controlled by a powerful being in the sky. As such, every effort was made to placate this ‘God’ in hopes of avoiding bad things.
Elaborate rituals and belief systems were devised in an attempt to figure out how to have good weather, victory over enemies, plentiful food, and survival after death. Interestingly, many of these archaic and erroneous beliefs are still held today by those with non-inquiring minds.
Up to now, your life-view may have been based upon only what you could sense. Again, it’s as though you have been examining life through a small pinhole. But that’s all you could see so you thought that’s all there was. With that limited vision, you may have mistakenly thought that:
1. this earthly life is a chaotic, senseless, and scary time of suffering
2. you can make mistakes that result in—you guessed it—more suffering,
only this time for eternity and involving lots of fire
- when your physical body and that of your loved ones die, that’s it, end of story4. if there is an afterlife, your departed loved ones know nothinguntil a future
resurrection when their bodies rise out of the grave and up into the sky. An
alternative version of this ancient and contrived story is that they are a trillion
miles away in the sky somewhere and thus are inaccessible until you pass on
5. any Higher Power—if one even exists—is distant and separate from you and
is to be feared and appeased
6. earth is herewhile spirit world isover theresomewhere with a dividing line
The list of misunderstandings, that greatly affect the quality and probably the quantity of earthly incarnations, goes on and on.
Fortunately, there is much more to life than meets the eye. The beliefs listed above are the result of a limited golf ball perspective versus a fuller Mt. Everest view. I and eleven great minds about consciousness topics – Raymond Moody, Caroline Myss, Anita Moorjani, Gary Schwartz, and others – discuss contemporary understandings about life’s big questions in my book The Eleven Questions.
You can now benefit from contemporary evidence and strategies for enlarging your understanding of the greater reality. The resulting expanded view indicates that the same energy and intelligence that created and sustains all life exists within you.
Put another way, you are a special and fundamental part of All That Is. Life is, most fundamentally, comprised of energy and light that is periodically changing, but never-ending. And that’s what you really are—an indestructible being of energy, light, consciousness, spirit, awareness. And so is everyone else.
It may take a while to wrap your head around all this but, after you do, you will become much more clear that life is a totally safe, purposeful, and magnificent adventure amidst forever. That’s true, even when it doesn’t seem like it.
Remembering this great news can help you survive and even thrive through life’s greatest changes and challenges—even the sad and difficult ones.
* * * * * * *
Thank you for sharing this article with others who can use it. I hope that this article – and taking the action steps discussed – help you feel more happy, healthy, peaceful, clear, and energetic. You deserve to feel that way and the world needs your greatest gifts.
Life and love are forever. Shall we live accordingly?
Mark Pitstick, MA, DC is an author, master’s clinical psychologist, holistic chiropractic physician, frequent media guest, and workshop facilitator. He is director of The Soul Phone Foundation, co–founder of Greater Reality Living Groups,and board member of Helping Parents Heal. Dr. Pitstick can help you know and show– no matter what is going on around you – that your earthly experience is a totally safe, meaningful, and magnificent adventure amidst forever. Visit About Dr. Mark Pitstickfor his full bio.
Note: Because of his many outreaches, Dr. Pitstick can no longer answer complex and multiple questions from individuals. However, he has created many resources to answer your biggest questions and provide holistic solutions to your toughest challenges.
- Free articles, radio shows, and newsletters:
- Articles for Transformation and Healing(oncomhome page) address the most common questions, concerns, and challenges about life, death, and afterlife.
- Radio Shows(top tab of com) share his answers and those of top experts to life’s biggest questions: “Who am I? Why am I here? What happens after I die? Is there a God? Why is there so much suffering? Why must children die?” and others.
- Soul Proof Newsletterswith information and inspiration are delivered by email monthly. To subscribe, visit com
- Audio Products – CDs and digital downloads – allow you to benefit from quality sessions at home for a fraction of the cost of an office visit.
These Transformational Audio Productsuse deep relaxation, visualization, breath work, and other techniques to access your inner wisdom, visit with “departed” loved ones, release old wounds and lower energy emotions, evaluate your pre-birth planning, have past life regressions, and more.
- Books and documentary film: these products (visit Shop) provide specific information to help you know and showthat you are a forever being of consciousness / energy / spirit and how you can live accordingly.
- Webinars and workshops: to learn about these and other updates, subscribe to the free email newsletters at SoulProof.comand SoulPhone.org.5. Greater Reality Living Groups: Dr. Pitstick and Dr. Gary Schwartz co-founded the organization for local and online groups. For more information, visit Greater Reality Living Groups.
6. SoulPhone Newsletter:Receive research and development updates on this life and world transformative spirit communication technology being developed at the Laboratory for Advancement in Consciousness and Health at the University of Arizona. A prototype of the first device, the SoulSwitch, may be reliably functioning as soon as 2018. This breakthrough will constitute 100% scientific proof that life continues after physical death and the many wonderful benefits that accompany that knowledge. To receive updates, join the newsletter at SoulPhone.org.
- Coaching/Counseling Session:these can occur in person, by phone, or on Zoom. To learn more, visit Coaching/Counseling Session
Disclaimer:This information is not designed to replace medical or psychological care. My remarks are based on over forty-five years of study, training, personal experience, and professional service. Extensive clinical, scientific, and empirical evidence supports much, but not all, of what I say. My current best understandings may change over time. I do not claim to have all the answers or the only answers. My hope is that this information assists you to consider what makes the most sense to you.