Mark Pitstick, MA, DC
This article addresses a curious question that I sometimes receive: “Do I have tolive forever?”
I say ‘curious’ because, from my perspective, who wouldn’t want to live forever? Life is so endlessly interesting, satisfying, rich, and wonderful. I wish I could clone myself many times over and have zillions of lives to explore all the facets of life. And, no doubt, that will be my reality. What is the greatest life you can imagine?
This question reflects concerns that a person will have to live forever . . .
- with the same body.
- with the same personality.
- during mandatory returns to earth.
I’ll address these concerns with my best current understandings based on what I’ve studied and what makes sense to me.
Do I have to live forever with the same body?
Your currently earthly shell will perish someday so the question addresses the astral or energetic body that seems to exist after death of the human form. There are a few sides to this answer, so stay with me . . .
First, what ‘I’ are you referring to? Most people identify so exclusively with their physical form even though that is only a very tiny fraction of who and what they actually are. Who you really are is consciousness, energy, mind, and awareness that can expand and evolve over time. (Some people prefer religious-based terms such as soul or spirit.) A bottom line? Youcan manifest in different ways now and after bodily death.
So, no, you don’t have to live in the same body forever, but – from what I gather – many postmaterial persons(those whose earthly bodies have died) do take on that form for different reasons. Greeting a loved one who has recently passed on is one. Visiting dear ones on earth during after-death communications is another.
I can understand why you wouldn’t want to go through forever in the same body, especially if it’s currently older and going downhill. For example, my sixty-five year old earth suit doesn’t have any hair on its head, has skin spots, and is half deaf. Do I want to keep those traits for eternity? Of course not. But, after dropping this body someday, I will briefly resume that persona gladly so my children and grandchildren can recognize me.
Right now, you are observing the field of all possibilities / Life Itself from a limited earthly perspective due to brain filtration mechanisms. As such, you can only sense a minute portion of all that exists and your understandings of life’s big picture suffer accordingly. After your body/brain dies, you will be free of those sensory constraints and can better apprehend the fullness of life.
Another reason some people abhore the thought of living forever is because their present state of health and happiness is so low. That’s one reason I care for the current temple of my soul so well. In my twenties – when I was eating wheat, sugar and overly processed / cooked food – I didn’t feel happy. I remember waxing philosophical when someone asked me if I was happy: “What is happiness, really?” Now I smile at those days because I feel the happiest ever.
Other reasons I feel so much peace and joy now include: loving relationships, knowing who I am, fulfilling my highest callings, letting go of the past, and optimal self-care. I teach how to fine-tune yourself holistically in my book Radiant Wellness.
Do I have to live forever with the same personality?
The short answer is no. Life always presents exquisite opportunities for growth, learning, and evolving.
However, death of the human form is not a panacea, an instant conversion from a horrible to wonderful personality. Certain principles appear to apply whether you are wearing an earth suit or not. It takes desire to change for the better, persistence in changing habits, and openness to learning better ways of living. Your essence chooses, based on past performances, to learn via gentle nudges or a two by four upside the head. (I’ve experienced both and highly recommend the former.)
An old story comes to mind. A very unaware man walked down a sidewalk and fell into a deep hole. The next week, he walked the same route without paying attention and fell into it again while suffering more injuries. Several days later, he noticed the hole ahead and made a mental note to walk around it. But he forgot and fell into it again. A week later, he saw the hole and remembered to circumvent it. The next day, he brought signs and orange cones to warn others. Still later, he arranged a work party to fix the hole so others didn’t suffer.
And that, my friends, is the essence of evolving from an unaware, spiritually asleep, beginner soul to an aware, awakened, and advanced being. That process can occur very quickly when you are ready and seek wise teachers to accelerate your learning curve. Which leads me to another story . . .
A student approached a wise teacher and said, “I want to know God.” The teacher had the student walk into the river with him and suddenly forced the student’s head under the water. The student thought he would surely drown, but the teacher let him up. “Why did you do that?” the student demanded as he gasped for breath. “When you want to know God as much as you wanted to breath,” the teacher shared, “you will see Him soon.”
For most people, the same is true for finding a better personality, the meaning of life, the path to happiness, loving relationships, and the formula for wellness. I say ‘most’ because some people are in such a deep hole that it may take a reset for them to reach these higher levels of awareness and wellness.
Do I have to live forever on earth?
We live in a free will universe; you are not forced by any higher power to return to earth. Coming to a place like this planet may not be an optimal choice for certain people with very gentle and sensitive energies. Some evidence exists that some parts of Life Itself – for you are an integral, infinite, and eternal part of this phenomenon – choose to remain Home, heaven, the really real place.
However, many humans choose to come to earth repeatedly because it such a fertile ground for service, adventure, growth, learning, and enjoyment. They can achieve so much in this dense and sometimes difficult environment.
If you feel like you never want to return to earth, that’s fine. However, forever is a very long time. After 10,000 years of perceiving reality from elsewhere, you may change your mind.
I hope this article helps you consider the following:
- You are not just your body.
- Your consciousness / energy can likely be in more than one place at the same time.
- You can choose a different body, or no apparent physical form at all, depending on your situation, goals, and desires.
- You can always choose to improve your personality. Whether on earth or elsewhere, change it if you don’t like the one you have because, as the saying goes, ‘wherever you go, there you are.’
- You are not forced to come to earth now or in the future, but you may choose to do so for very important reasons.
- Most importantly, you and everyone else are beloved and important parts of Life so please treat yourself and others accordingly.
* * * * * * *
Thank you for sharing this article with others who can use it. I hope this article – and taking the action steps discussed – help you feel more happy, healthy, peaceful, clear, and energetic. You deserve to feel that way and the world needs your greatest gifts.
That life continues beyond bodily death has now been scientifically demonstrated. Shall we live accordingly?
Mark Pitstick, MA, DC is an author, master’s clinical psychologist, holistic chiropractic physician, frequent media guest, and workshop facilitator. He is director of The Soul Phone Foundation, founder of Greater Reality Living Groups,and board member of Helping Parents Heal. Dr. Pitstick can help you know and show– no matter what is going on around you – that your earthly experience is a totally safe, meaningful, and magnificent adventure amidst forever. Visit About Dr. Mark Pitstickfor his full bio.
Note: Because of his many outreaches, Dr. Pitstick can no longer answer complex and multiple questions from individuals. However, he has created many resources to answer your biggest questions and provide holistic solutions to your toughest challenges.
1. Free articles, radio shows, and newsletters:
- Articles for Transformation and Healing (on SoulProof.comhome page) address the most common questions, concerns, and challenges about life, death, and afterlife.
- Radio Shows (top tab of SoulProof.com) share his answers and those of top experts to life’s biggest questions: “Who am I? Why am I here? What happens after I die? Is there a God? Why is there so much suffering? Why must children die?” and others.
- Soul Proof Newsletterswith information and inspiration are delivered by email monthly. To subscribe, visit SoulProof.com
2. Audio Products – CDs and digital downloads – allow you to benefit from quality sessions at home for a fraction of the cost of an office visit.
These Transformational Audio Productsuse deep relaxation, visualization, breath work, and other techniques to access your inner wisdom, visit with “departed” loved ones, release old wounds and lower energy emotions, evaluate your pre-birth planning, have past life regressions, and more.
3. Books and documentary film: these products (visit Shop) provide specific information to help you know and showthat you are a forever being of consciousness / energy / spirit and how you can live accordingly.
4. Webinars and workshops: to learn about these and other updates, subscribe to the free email newsletters at SoulProof.comand SoulPhone.org.
5. Greater Reality Living Groups: Dr. Pitstick and Dr. Gary Schwartz co-founded the organization for local and online groups. For more information, visit Greater Reality Living Groups.
6. SoulPhone Foundation Membership and Newsletters:Receive research and development updates on this life and world transformative spirit communication technology being developed at the Laboratory for Advancement in Consciousness and Health at the University of Arizona. A prototype of the first device, the SoulSwitch, is reliably functioning as of autumn 2018 and has demonstrated the reality of life beyond death of the human body. As you might imagine, many wonderful benefits accompany that knowledge. To receive updates, join the newsletter at SoulPhone.org or GreaterRealityLiving.com.
7. Coaching/Counseling Session:these can occur in person, by phone, or on Zoom. To learn more, visit Coaching/Counseling Session
Disclaimer:This information is not designed to replace medical or psychological care. My remarks are based on over forty-five years of study, training, personal experience, and professional service. Extensive clinical, scientific, and empirical evidence supports much, but not all, of what I say. My current best understandings may change over time. I do not claim to have all the answers or the only answers. My hope is that this information assists you to consider what makes the most sense to you.