What is a spiritually transformative experience (STE)?
It’s a transcendent event that can inspire your beliefs and behavior for the better. Descriptions of it may vary depending upon your personal experience, religion, culture, age, and resulting belief system. Synonymous phrases include:
- awakening to a greater reality
- seeing the Light
- knowing that energy cannot be destroyed, but only change form
- being saved
- realizing the great news that sets you free
- seeing with your energetic heart as well as your physical eyes
- activating your upper chakras
- being born again
- seeing with your spiritual eye
- becoming enlightened
- realizing there is more to life than meets the eye
- knowing you are one with God / Source Energy / Life right now and always
Spiritually transformative experiences can be triggered in different ways. There might be one big cause or a number of smaller ones that culminate in a STE. Some possibilities include:
- near-death experience (NDE)
- after-death contact (ADC)
- out-of-body experience (OBE)
- exposure to violence or catastrophe
- the birth of a child
- the death of a loved one—person or pet—especially a child
- an overwhelmingly beautiful nature scene such as sunset, stars, water
- centering practices such as meditation, chanting, sacred dance
- knowing the collective afterlife evidence
- studying enlightening spiritual / religious teachings
- prudent use of entheogens (consciousness-altering plants)
- having loving, intelligent, and aware parents or other caretakers
- being an “old” or advanced soul and never forgetting “the big picture”
- having a life-changing experience using hypnosis or deep relaxation and imagery, for example, past life regression, life between lives session, or other techniques I’ve created. To learn more, visit SoulProof.com/Shop.
In short, when the student is ready, the teacher will appear. Most any experience can be the final piece of the puzzle that helps you awaken to life’s magnificence.
Many benefits can accompany having a STE. These include:
- Little or no fear and grief about physical death.
- Greater trust about all the phases of life, even those involving suffering and tragedy.
- A deeper understanding and peace about life’s biggest questions.
- Increased clarity and courage to fulfill your heartfelt callings.
- More peace and acceptance about life’s inevitable changes.
- Feeling closer to the Source of all life.
- Greater appreciation for and care of your body.
- Resolute knowledge that your earthly experience is totally safe, fair
- Enthusiasm, joy, and gratitude about an eternity of love, service, adventure, growth and enjoyment.
Twelve keys to internalizing your STE– so these benefits become an integral part of your beliefs and very being – include:
1. Tell your story, but be selective: If you’ve had an inspiring and eye-opening experience, don’t keep it a secret. But be discerning about whom you tell. Especially in the early days after your STE, you don’t need judgment or criticism. If you can’t tell any of your friends or family about what happened, that’s a sign that you need to upgrade your support team.
However, if you risk telling others, you may be pleasantly surprised to find that they also had a STE, but the topic “just never came up.” Or they may admit their hesitance to tell anyone for fear of being considered kooky. Some of my family think I’m strange, but I don’t care because many family, friends, and people I’ve helped appreciate my candidness.
We started worldwide Greater Reality Living online and local groupsso people would have a safe, respectful, and inclusive place where they can share their personal experiences and learn more about the 99.9% of life that often eludes the five senses.
2. Realize it’s OK to be different: Some people are worried after a STE because they don’t want to seem different or weird. Look around you: don’t you think our world needs something different? Embrace your sacred experience with gratitude.
3. Learn the evidence: much clinical and scientific evidence clearly shows that everyone is a forever being of consciousness, spirit, awareness, energy.Studying this data can further internalize your spiritually transformative experience.My Soul Proof book and Greater Reality Living, co-authored by Dr. Gary Schwartz, are comprehensive, but easy-to-understand sources of this evidence. Visit SoulProof.comfor free articles, radio shows, and newsletters on this subject.
4. Enjoy time with kindred spirits: Surround yourself with others who are awakening to how wonderful, rich, and never-ending life really is. My favorite places to find such folks include enlightened churches such as Unity, Unitarian- Universalist, Centers for Positive Living, Science of Mind, Religious Science, United Church of Christ. I’ve also met many wonderful people at Buddhist, Hindu, Sufi, and Native American services. Other suggestions for meeting open-minded, loving, and service-oriented persons include meditation and yoga classes, drum circles, chanting or Kirtan groups, and holistic and spiritual retreats and conferences.
5. Be patient: Becoming a new and improved person usually isn’t an overnight event. It’s a processthat takes time and goes through stages. Take it easy on yourself and realize you are like a baby learning to walk. The material world looks very different after a STE, so be gentle with yourself as you get used to your new worldview. Also remember that your family and friends didn’t have the same STE you did so be patient with them. If at all possible, share your insights with those you are closest to and transform together versus growing apart.
6. Lean on others: No person is an island and after a STE is a great time to ask for help. They will probably be glad to lend it and then, after you regain your balance, you can help others. Seek the assistance of family, friends, ministers, counselors, holistic health care providers, and those you meet in places listed under #4 above.
7. Enjoy time in nature: Quiet time surrounded by trees, water, mountains, hills, or desert can be immensely healing and instructive. When possible, walk barefooted in sand or grass to release ‘negative chi’ and absorb higher energies. Nature shouts the great news that you are an integral and infinite part of All That Is right now and always. It also reminds you that life on Earth is periodically changing but never-ending so you can relax in the here and now.
8. Employ centering practices: Your brain is an awesome computer, but it can block your perception of unseen realities when it over-analyzes and worries.Centering practices allow you to quiet your mind and remember that life and love are forever. Common methods to do this include meditation, prayer, chanting, drumming, time in nature, gardening, reading, sewing, and playing with pets and children. Regularly enjoy whatever helps you remember that Life flows on within and all around you.I and eleven great minds about consciousness topics – Raymond Moody, Caroline Myss, Anita Moorjani, Gary Schwartz, and others – discuss contemporary understandings about how to best live and other big questions about life in The Eleven Questions.
9. Holistic health care: When your body is finely and holistically tuned, it resonates better with your timeless essence. Your life flows better when your brain-based and transcendent sources of consciousness are congruent and communicating with each other.It’s difficult to know and showthat you are a forever being when you are chronically ill, depressed, fatigued, or anxious. My book Radiant Wellnessshares seven keys to enjoying optimal wellness. For example, the following can make huge differences in how you feel, think, and function: specific chiropractic adjustments, acupuncture, deep massage, and nutrition-based healing. To learn more about the last approach, visit unsinc.infoor icakusa.com.
10. Serve others: Helping those in need is a great way to harness your new energy and understandings. You may have to pace yourself in the beginning, especially if you are recovering from a near-death experience or your child changed worlds. But as soon as you can, look around and see how you can share your greatest gifts and brighten the corner where you are. Everyone involved—especially you—benefits.
11. Reach for the highest feeling thought: Gratitude, love, joy, enthusiasm, faith, and peace are some of the highest energy emotions. However, you may notice a tendency to focus on lower energy emotions— anger, hatred, sadness, fear, and hopelessness—after a difficult time. For example, your body may not function as well after a severe illness or injury that resulted in a near-death experience. You may feel as though you are in hell after a dear ones body dies.Ultimately, though, what you focus on is a choice.
Concentrating your attention on what you are grateful for is a huge step to mastering this juggling act we call life on Earth. It’s a moment to moment choice. Using the examples above, you can choose to appreciate the NDE that expanded your awareness of the greater reality.
You can make a decision to grow and serve others more powerfully to heal yourself and celebrate your beloved’s graduation from earth school.Over time, reaching for the highest feeling thought – no matter what is going on around you – can become a habit. Living more positively in each golden present moment can become your set point. You can, every day and in every way, assume that life is unfolding perfectly.
12. Your job is to discover the silver linings in life’s dark clouds that you, as a soul, may have designed. (For more information about this, see Article #25: Did My Soul REALLY Choose All This?)
And that’s when life becomes really interesting . . .
* * * * * * *
Thank you for sharing this article with others who can use it. I hope this article and associated action steps will help you feel more happy, healthy, peaceful, clear, and energetic. You deserve to feel that way and the world needs your greatest gifts.
Life and love are forever. Shall we live accordingly?
Mark Pitstick, MA, DC is an author, master’s clinical psychologist, holistic chiropractic physician, frequent media guest, and webinar / workshop facilitator. He directs The Soul Phone Foundation and founded Greater Reality Living Groups. Dr. Pitstick can help you know and show– no matter what is happening to or around you – that your earthly experience is a totally safe, meaningful, and magnificent adventure amidst forever. Visit SoulProof.com for free articles, newsletters, and radio interviews with top consciousness experts.
Note: Because of his many outreaches, Dr. Pitstick can not fully answer complex questions from individuals. However, he has created resources to answer your biggest questions and provide holistic solutions for your toughest challenges.
1. Free articles, radio shows, and newsletters:
* Radio Shows (top tab of SoulProof.com) share his answers and those of top experts to life’s biggest questions: “Who am I? Why am I here? What happens after I die? Is there a God? Why is there so much suffering? Why must children die?” and others.
2. Audio Products – CDs and digital downloads – allow you to benefit from quality sessions at home for a fraction of the cost of an office visit.
Twelve Transformational Audio Products use deep relaxation / hypnosis, visualization, breath work, and other techniques to access your inner wisdom, visit with “departed” loved ones, release old wounds and lower energy emotions, evaluate your pre-birth planning, have past life regressions, and more.
3. Books and documentary film: these products (visit Shop) provide specific information to help you know and show that you are a forever being of consciousness / energy / spirit and how you can live accordingly.
5. Greater Reality Living Groups: Dr. Pitstick and Dr. Gary Schwartz co-founded the organization for local and online groups. For more information, visit Greater Reality Living Groups.
6. Greater Reality Living/SoulPhone Newsletters to receive updates about university-based experiments that definitively demonstrate life continues after bodily death. Enjoy discussions about how you might live — and treat yourself and others — differently now that afterlife survival has been scientifically shown.
7. Coaching / Counseling Session: these can occur in person, by phone, or on Zoom. To learn more, visit Coaching / Counseling Session
Disclaimer: This information is not designed to replace medical or psychological care. My remarks are based on over forty-seven years of study, training, personal experience, and professional service. Extensive clinical, scientific, and empirical evidence supports much, but not all, of what I say. My current best understandings may change over time. I do not claim to have all the answers or the only answers. My hope is that this information assists you to consider what makes the most sense to you.