Many people have asked questions about the afterlife for evil doers, “After they die, what happens to people who have hurt others? Surely they aren’t met with light, love, and compassion like most people?”
The questions usually refer to mass murderers, child molesters, severely abusive persons, rapists, perpetrators of genocide, and others who committed horribly inappropriate actions. I’ll use the term evil doer to describe this type of person.
The question is understandable since people:
- want to know there ultimately is justice in life.
- often have been personally impacted by an evil doer.
- wonder if there really is a Higher Power who oversees and cares.
As a young man, I worked with many people who suffered greatly at the hands of another: a woman who was raped, then her throat cut and left for dead; a child who was abused to death by the boyfriend of the mother; drunk drivers who killed others; abusive husbands who repeatedly injured their wives; and more. As such, I have searched for sensible answers to it for over 45 years.
The answers to this question are not simple. Your beliefs about what is evil have been mightily shaped by the views of your family, educational system, religion, political party, country, and other factors. What seems good / evil, or fair / unfair varies greatly among people.
Before considering how the most evolved beings / energy might handle evil doers, consider these points that I judge to be true:
- Beliefs about what is ‘fair’ and ‘evil’ may vary greatly depending on observers’ perspectives.
- People’s perspectives are mightily shaped by their family, prevailing culture, educational systems, country, and religion or lack thereof.
- Immature souls may find support, and even encouragement, from others who are imbalanced to justify hurting others who are different.
- Creator has been blasphemed by some fundamentalist denominations as being a judgmental and vengeful fellow. However, that image is not supported by most denominations, religions, and the collective evidence about the greater reality.
- Evolved beings / energies – angels, guides, master teachers, the Light / Life Source – may view ‘evil doers’ differently than many people on earth assume.
Infants fall down a lot before they learn to walk, then run . . .
Please read the above sentence again and post it where you will see it often. It’s a powerful metaphor for understanding what happens to ‘evil doers’ – people who are just awakening to who they are, why they are here, and how they should treat themselves and others.
Would you punish a baby because she can’t walk right away? Of course not. Similarly, All That Is understands and lovingly assists instead of condemning when a person falls down.
For those who are concerned that justice prevail, don’t worry. An exquisitely fair law of karma exists that teaches people who act in evil ways. It’s not punitive by nature, but it’s not a walk in the park either since we experience firsthand what we do to others. As you sow, so shall you reap.
That principle was taught in most religions since antiquity and corroborated by many near-death experiencers. They describe ‘the life review’ as being an integral part of the afterlife experience.
A primary meaning of the Aramaic words for heaven and hell were ‘what you experience after you die and see, hear, and feel the good or bad you did to others.’ Heaven and hell weren’t considered actual places where you go forever after this brief earthly experience. Rather, they represented what your life review will be like when your physical body dies. Since the end of every day can be a mini-life review, these terms also refer to how you feel in the present moment– whether on earth or elsewhere – as a result of your predominate thoughts, words, and deeds.
Multiple sources – near-death experiencers, evidential mediums, life between lives clients, and spiritual wisdom sources – concur with these views. I’m always impressed with ancient understandings concur with contemporary views based on clinical evidence.
Earth is like a classroom at school. Less evolved people who need to learn lessons are attracted to this earthly curriculum. Those who are more highly evolved don’t needto come to a place like earth. However, they may volunteer to manifest part of their energy in an earthly experience to teach, heal, and help others.
The spectrum of energy / soul development can be simply described as:
1. beginner (fall down a lot)
2. intermediate (walkers / runners)
3. advanced (runners / flyers)
This isn’t, by the way, necessarily about how ‘old’ the soul is, or how many time / space experiences they have had. People can awaken relatively quickly when they are ready. They can apply time and energy to make great strides in learning about the greater reality and living accordingly.
Here’s an analogy. I am writing this section while waiting for my car to have a preventive checkup. (Parenthetically, that is a great idea for people as well.) Ten people are waiting in the dealership lounge: eight are eating junk food, drinking pop, and watching an inane show on TV. One person is sitting away from the TV while reading a book and eating an apple. Likewise, I am as far away as possible from the idiot box while writing this article and munching on chemical free almonds and drinking green tea.
The numbers correlate nicely with at least one evaluation of spiritual maturity among humans. Michael Newton, PhD, author of Journey of Souls and founder of Lives Between Lives therapy, worked with thousands of clients from around the world during his thirty plus years as a psychotherapist. Based on several objective measures, he estimated that 85% of the people on earth are beginner souls, 12% are intermediate, and 3% are advanced.
Those whose imbalanced words and actions hurt others must relive them. The afterlife for evil doers may include rest and rehab for a while before they can even begin to experience what they have done to others. It’s a temporary, self-induced hell . . . but it may seem like a long time. The sentence fits the crime, again, not because an angry God demands it, but because of the cosmic boomerang effect.
For those who committed heinous crimes toward others, it may seem like eons before they can rejoin the general population again. Higher energy assistants / assistance are compassionate and loving toward these persons whose primary energy is lower. However, the transgressors may not be able to feel this, just as they couldn’t hear higher energy messages as they hurt others while on earth. The evil doers will have to forgive themselves for falling short– an original meaning of the word ‘sin’.
I hope this article helps you consider how the Ground of All Being may view and work with those who commit imbalanced actions toward others and informs you about the afterlife for evil doers. As always, it’s wise for us to focus on the log in our own eyes instead of worrying about the speck in the eyes of another.
Mark Pitstick, MA, DC is an author, master’s clinical psychologist, holistic chiropractic physician, frequent media guest, and workshop facilitator. He is director of The Soul Phone Foundation, founder of Greater Reality Living Community Groups, and board member of Helping Parents Heal. Dr. Pitstick can help you know and show– no matter what is going on around you – that your earthly experience is a totally safe, meaningful, and magnificent adventure amidst forever. Visit SoulProof.com for free articles, newsletters, and radio interviews with top consciousness experts.
Note: Because of his many outreaches, Dr. Pitstick can no longer answer complex and multiple questions from individuals. However, he has created many resources to answer your biggest questions and provide holistic solutions to your toughest challenges.
1. Free articles, radio shows, and newsletters:
- Articles for Transformation and Healing (on SoulProof.com home page) address the most common questions, concerns, and challenges about life, death, and afterlife.
- Radio Shows (top tab of SoulProof.com) share his answers and those of top experts to life’s biggest questions: “Who am I? Why am I here? What happens after I die? Is there a God? Why is there so much suffering? Why must children die?” and others.
- Newsletterswith information and inspiration are delivered by email monthly. To subscribe, visit SoulProof.com
2. Audio Products – CDs and digital downloads – allow you to benefit from quality sessions at home for a fraction of the cost of an office visit.
These Transformational Audio Products use deep relaxation, visualization, breath work, and other techniques to access your inner wisdom, visit with “departed” loved ones, release old wounds and lower energy emotions, evaluate your pre-birth planning, have past life regressions, and more.
3. Books and documentary film: these (visit Shop) provide specific information to help you know and showthat you are a forever being of consciousness / energy / spirit and how you can live accordingly.
5. Greater Reality Living Community Groups: Dr. Pitstick founded these local and online groups to share information from him, Dr. Gary Schwartz, and other experts on consciousness and holistic wellness topics. For more information, visit Greater Reality Living Community Groups.
6. Coaching/Counseling Session:these can occur in person, by phone, or on Zoom. To learn more, visit Coaching/Counseling Session
Disclaimer:This information is not designed to replace medical or psychological care. My remarks are based on forty-five years of study, training, personal experience, and professional service. Extensive clinical, scientific, and empirical evidence supports much, but not all, of what I say. My current best understandings may change over time. I do not claim to have all the answers or the only answers. My hope is that this information assists you to consider what makes the most sense to you.