I am honored to write about spirituality as it relates to people whose sexual orientation is lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, or intersex (LGBTQI).
Using the collective term gay would be easier for conciseness, but the initials highlight the uniqueness for each subset listed above.
Over the years, I have known many co-workers, friends, and family members who are not heterosexual. Without exception, they are among the most loving, creative, intelligent, caring, and humorous people I have known.
Ever since I was old enough to think for myself, I was puzzled by the overemphasison differencesamong people. In the 60’s, I saw riots and cars burned as our nation struggled about racial equality. In the 70s, I saw ‘straights’ judging ‘hippies’—and vice versa—in part, because of differences in hairstyle and dress. People from different countries, religions, and even sports teams were condemned as different, unimportant, or enemies.
Today, LGBTQI folks face prejudice and mistreatment because of one relatively very minor factor—their sexual orientation or anatomy.
I use the term sexual orientationbecause, in my opinion, it’s not a choice. As anyone who has worked in pediatric hospitals knows, a variety of anatomical variation exists at birth. Similarly, genetic, hormonal, neurological and psychological differences result in a rainbow of sexuality. Visit Born Gayto view factors about the ‘choice or not’ question that will, no doubt, be endlessly debated by some.
Academic research aside, unbiased observers can see that human sexuality is not a simple matter. It might seemeasier to view life from an unexamined perspective, but ignoring the shades of gray that exist actually causes more problems. In reality,a spectrum of sexuality exists and various individuals fall along that spectrum.
Most importantly, the LGBTQI people I have known stress they would never chooseto undergo the judgment and ostracism they received. Sometimes they have been shunned and banned from their families. Families have been painfully split apart when one parent finally comes out of the closet.
Homosexual couples usually cannot enjoy the same privileges that married heterosexual couples do. Most unbelievably, LGBTQI people – family and friends of you and me – have been beaten or killed solely because of their sexuality.
Who would casually choose a lifestyle given the likelihood of such rejection and hatred?
Societal objectionsto non-heterosexual orientations are supposedly based upon concerns about the family as an institution. However, well-run studies have shown that children of same-sex partners are just as happy and healthy as those of heterosexual parents. Likewise, the percentages of sexual orientation for children of same-sex parents is similar to those of heterosexual couples.
Religious objections to LGBTQI people are often based on the Old Testament story recounted in Genesis 19. You can read this curious tale and make your own conclusions about whether it is a good source of guidance.
Fear of differenceswas understandable and important for early humans. Cave dwellers had to distinguish between clansmen and members of warring tribes to avoid injury and death. Survival depended on staying close to others who were alike and familiar.
Later in history, farmers and laborers who produced offspring were more likely to survive because of their children’s labor and, later in life, protection. For these reasons – blessings from religious institutions, familiarity, and stability – laws and customs developed to support heterosexual family units.
In the 21st century, however, such limitations are not as important for physical survival. Instead, close-mindedness to diversity has now become divisive and destructive – physically, emotionally, and spiritually – to the evolution of humanity. Many bereaved parents that I work with report that their teenage or twenty-something children terminated their lives because of conflicts and judgment about being their sexuality.
For those with awakened hearts and minds, the high road about this topic is very clear. Whatever the reasonsfor a person’s sexual orientation, it is past time to acceptit. I don’t have to justify why I’m heterosexual. Why should it be any different for people who aren’t?
As all spiritual wisdom traditions have taught, what is most important is to love one another and observe the Golden Rule. Doing so regarding matters of sexual orientation is clearly overdue.
This is especially important given the hate crimes that have occurred around the world against LGBTQI people. The first incident I was aware of involved Matthew Shepard in 1998. I had glanced at the news about him being beaten, tortured, and left to die. My brain quickly categorized it as ‘yet another senseless death.’ Later, while doing a Holistic Breathingsession, my heart opened and I felt the horrible pain and sadness that everyone involved felt. I could feel the discouragement and outrage of the LGBTQI community and anyone with an open mind and heart.
In 2016, the shootings in Orlando at the Pulse nightclub took the lives of 49 people and wounded more. Judgment and mistreatment against people who are different is a major cause of such events. Some fundamentalist churches support such violence by claiming that God is making His will known.
The Life Source that I know through personal experience and contemporary evidence doesn’t work that way.
During my thirty years of research for the book and documentary film Soul Proof, I came across several interesting topics regarding spirituality and sexuality. Researchers such as Michael Newton, Ph.D., founder of Life Between Lives, noted that souls may chooseto be different from ‘the norm’ while on earth because of the opportunities for personal growth and service. Challenges anddifficulties can build spiritual musclesmuch like strenuous exercise builds physical muscle. The strongest metals survive the hottest fires. LGBTQI people may have selected, from a soul level, the possibilities of being different for those reasons.
Brian Weiss MD states that patterns developed during other times and places – past lives if you will – may influence how a person lives in this earthly experience. For example, if a soul experienced life as a female for several earthly visits in a row, that could carry over and influence desires while incarnating as a male. As such, the person today may feel more like a female even though he has male genitalia and hormones.
Over time, different cultures have recognized LGBTQI people as unique and possibly embodying two different souls simultaneously. The term’ two spirits’ was used for individuals who exhibited androgynous characteristics. Indigenous tribes, including American and Canadian Indians, recognized the special nature of these souls.
Non-heterosexual people with fundamental religious backgrounds may fear that they or their loved ones are destined to hell forever. These concerns are ridiculous for several reasons when viewed in light of the Soul Proofevidence and contemporary understandings:
- God isn’t a big judgmental fellow in the sky but, rather, the source and repository of all love, peace, wisdom, power, and bliss.
- We each are one with this One right now and always—no matter who and how we are.
- Do we really think that the Creator and Sustainer of the cosmos cares how people on one tiny planet out of trillions handle their sex life?
- A physical and eternal fiery hell doesn’t exist.
- Heaven and hell are degrees of awareness that you are a beloved part of Creation, and how you think, speak, and act.
I and eleven great minds about consciousness topics – Raymond Moody, Caroline Myss, Anita Moorjani, Gary Schwartz, and others – discuss contemporary understandings about these and other big questions about life in The Eleven Questions.
Quantum physics and field theory provide another perspective on how relatively minor ones sexual orientation is when compared to the totality of ones being. The human brain is a wonderful receiver of information; however, its limitations have been well documented. For example, if all the light and energy on earth were the size of Mount Everest, the portion perceived by most humans would only be the size of a golf ball.
This fact points to the heart of the matter. What can be detected by human senses is a very small percentage of our totality. As such, it is absurd and patently ignorant to overemphasize one small detail such as a person’s sexual orientation, skin color, etc.
As the collective evidence in Soul Proofshows, we each are eternal beings of spirit, consciousness, awareness. From a religious / spiritual viewpoint, we are beloved children of Creator. Clinical evidence from documented near-death-experience studies report that we each are part of Source right now. From a quantum physics standpoint, we are beings of energy experiencing a tiny fraction of the Field of All Possibilities.
However you look at it, we each are important parts of life.
This recognition calls for respecting and valuing all peopleregardless of any trivial differences: sexuality, religion, ethnicity, gender, age, physical appearance, etc. These are inconsequential details in the grand scheme of things.
More and more people are awakeningto our essential oneness. Having shaken off the fetters of fear, they are focusing more on the unique beauty and gifts that each person has. From this perspective, we can love ourselves and others more.
* * * * * * *
Thank you for sharing this article with others who can use it. I hope that this article – and taking the action steps discussed – help you feel more happy, healthy, peaceful, clear, and energetic. You deserve to feel that way and the world needs your greatest gifts.
Life and love are forever. Shall we live accordingly?
Mark Pitstick, MA, DC is an author, master’s clinical psychologist, holistic chiropractic physician, frequent media guest, and workshop facilitator. He is director of The Soul Phone Foundation, co–founder of Greater Reality Living Groups,and board member of Helping Parents Heal. Dr. Pitstick can help you know and show– no matter what is going on around you – that your earthly experience is a totally safe, meaningful, and magnificent adventure amidst forever. Visit About Dr. Mark Pitstickfor his full bio.
Note: Because of his many outreaches, Dr. Pitstick can no longer answer complex and multiple questions from individuals. However, he has created many resources to answer your biggest questions and provide holistic solutions to your toughest challenges.
- Free articles, radio shows, and newsletters:
- Articles for Transformation and Healing(oncomhome page) address the most common questions, concerns, and challenges about life, death, and afterlife.
- Radio Shows(top tab of com) share his answers and those of top experts to life’s biggest questions: “Who am I? Why am I here? What happens after I die? Is there a God? Why is there so much suffering? Why must children die?” and others.
- Soul Proof Newsletterswith information and inspiration are delivered by email monthly. To subscribe, visit com
- Audio Products – CDs and digital downloads – allow you to benefit from quality sessions at home for a fraction of the cost of an office visit.These Transformational Audio Productsuse deep relaxation, visualization, breath work, and other techniques to access your inner wisdom, visit with “departed” loved ones, release old wounds and lower energy emotions, evaluate your pre-birth planning, have past life regressions, and more.
- Books and documentary film: these products (visit Shop) provide specific information to help you know and showthat you are a forever being of consciousness / energy / spirit and how you can live accordingly.
- Webinars and workshops: to learn about these and other updates, subscribe to the free email newsletters at SoulProof.comand SoulPhone.org.5. Greater Reality Living Groups: Dr. Pitstick and Dr. Gary Schwartz co-founded the organization for local and online groups. For more information, visit Greater Reality Living Groups.
6. SoulPhone Newsletter:Receive research and development updates on this life and world transformative spirit communication technology being developed at the Laboratory for Advancement in Consciousness and Health at the University of Arizona. A prototype of the first device, the SoulSwitch, may be reliably functioning as soon as 2018. This breakthrough will constitute 100% scientific proof that life continues after physical death and the many wonderful benefits that accompany that knowledge. To receive updates, join the newsletter at SoulPhone.org.
7. Coaching/Counseling Session:these can occur in person, by phone, or on Zoom. To learn more, visit Coaching/Counseling Session
Disclaimer:This information is not designed to replace medical or psychological care. My remarks are based on over forty-five years of study, training, personal experience, and professional service. Extensive clinical, scientific, and empirical evidence supports much, but not all, of what I say. My current best understandings may change over time. I do not claim to have all the answers or the only answers. My hope is that this information assists you to consider what makes the most sense to you.