Exploring the nature of G.O.D. is important because beliefs about this vital phenomenon vary so widely.
(Note: G.O.D. stands for the universal Guiding, Organizing and Designing process in life that has historically been called many names such as Yahweh, God, and Allah. See Dr. Gary E. Schwartz’s book “The G.O.D. Experiments” to learn more about the love, power, intelligence, and creativity that is behind and within all life. I will use this term and its synonyms to escape erroneous and archaic images associated with the term God that is used by just a few religions.
Other synonyms include: Life Source, Higher Power, Creator, the Light, One Mind, Life Itself, Unitive Consciousness, and All That Is. My best understanding of reality is that G.O.D. is all that exists; any appearance to the contrary is brain filtration induced myopia.
The letters E and L, that stand for “Energizing and Loving,” can be added to G.O.D. The resulting acronym E.L.G.O.D. captures more of the attributes of this ultimately ineffable phenomena. Those additional letters also honor ancient names for the Source. El or Al – the root words of Elohim, Eloha, Allah, and other sacred names for God – meant: That, The One, or That One which expresses itself uniquely through all things.)
Some people understandably struggle with images of Creator taught by ancient religions. They wonder why their child die or why so much suffering occurs if a Higher Power is really so loving, powerful, and omniscient. Some people feel justifiably angry and question whether any G.O.D. or afterlife really exist.
Those are all fair questions that invariably arise from a model of a separate superman-like deity.
However, much collective evidence indicates that the Source is not a big bearded man sitting on a throne in the sky somewhere. Humanity’s evolution has been hampered by viewing the Ground of All Being in our image, instead of realizing we were made in the image of It.
During my theological school studies, the Source was defined as the highest power that can be conceived. My highest image of this phenomenon is that of love, peace, creativity, wisdom, and power.
In An Open Life, Joseph Campbell, the brilliant scholar, author and interpreter of sacred traditions, stated: “The divine lives within you… the separateness that is apparent in the phenomenal world is secondary. Beyond, and behind, and within, and supporting that world is an unseen but experienced unity and identity in us all.”
The following description of Creator is, based on the evidence, quite accurate. In Destiny of Souls, Michael Newton, Ph.D., quotes a female client who was one of the most evolved beings he had ever interviewed during a Life Between Lives session. To slightly paraphrase, she described Oneness as: ‘Massive but soft. Powerful yet gentle. There is a breath, a whisper of sound that is so pure. The sound creates all, including light and energy. The sound holds this structure and makes it move, shifting and undulating, creating everything. It is a reverberating bell, then a high-pitched pure humming like an echo of a mother full of love singing to her child.’
These descriptions are, needless to say, quite different from horrific ones that many of us were taught at an early age. Do the words “wrathful, judging, and fearsome” sound familiar? Some denominations still teach about a Life Source of unfathomable love and then, in the next sentence, warn that It will send us to, or allow us to choose, a fiery hell for eternity.
Can you say “schizophrenia?”
Clark H. Pinnock, theology professor at McMaster Divinity College, stated: “How can Christians possibly project a deity of such cruelty and vindictiveness” as to inflict “everlasting torture upon his creatures, however sinful they may have been.” I agree with his conclusion that a Higher Power that would do such a thing is “more nearly like Satan than like God.”
We need to reconsider our notions about Creative Energy, to refute half-truths and mistruths that were taught in the guise of truth. The collective evidence refutes any notion of a vengeful Source that watches our every step and smites us at the least transgression.
Think about it for a moment with common sense instead of brainwashed fear. What loving parents would pass their child’s finger over a flame, even for a second, no matter what the transgression? How, then, could any believe that an all loving, all knowing, and all powerful Creator would for eternity?
Rediscovering the original meanings of sacred teachings conveys greatly different views. Aramaic translations, for example, reveal more accurate understandings from that pivotal time and place that so greatly influenced Judaism, Islam and Christianity.
Regarding the primary Aramaic meanings for the Supreme, Neil Douglas-Klotz, Ph.D., stated on my radio show: “The root words for God are ‘Eloha’ or ‘Alaha’ from the Hebrew ‘Elohim.’ All these words mean unity, sacred unity, or one Beingness. The Jewish or Aramaic notion of the Divine is not a being sitting somewhere, someplace as in a room above us, but a unity of which we are a part, of which our being is a part.”
He continued, “Both Jesus and the Hebrew prophets before him shared this bigger picture of the Divine. That’s quite different from our Western conception. Our problem is that when this conception was squeezed through the Greek language and thinking into Western Christianity, only a very small part of this meaning was carried across the language bridge.”
If you were taught notions about a Life Source that seemed bizarre, realize that the offending information was likely incomplete or incorrect. Some people become atheists or agnostics because they understandably find the idea of no Higher Powerto make more sense than the strange images they were taught.
Chris, a near-death experiencer, put it this way: “The best way to learn about the nature of the Divine is to ask people who have been in Its presence during an NDE. Many of them say afterwards, ‘There is only one of us.’ When you appreciate and really understand that, you have the key to the universe.”
I and eleven great minds about consciousness topics – Raymond Moody, Caroline Myss, Anita Moorjani, Gary Schwartz, and others – discuss contemporary understandings about God and other big questions in The Eleven Questions.
Many people are shocked by denominations that claim their view is the only right one and all others are doomed to a fiery eternal hell. At the “God at 2000 Conference,” professor of religion and author Marcus Borg, Ph.D., said: “I find it literally incredible that the God of the whole universe has chosen to be known by one religious tradition.” He said that all great religions of the world believe in an encompassing Spirit that is part of everyday life. In this view, termed panentheism, Universal Intelligence is not only transcendent (beyond human experience), but also immanent(dwelling within all life).
Rev. Matthew Fox is a theologian, Episcopal priest, founder of Creation Spirituality, and author of over twenty books including Natural Grace. He rejects theism, the concept that “God is way out there someplace, as far away as he can get.” Fox stated: “God is life per se life, God is in the midst of everything that’s bubbling, everything that’s vital. And that is panentheism, to see God in all things.”
In Wisdom of the Ages, Wayne Dyer, Ed. D., stated, “Imagine being fully aware that you carry God about with you. If God is everywhere, then there is no place that God is not. And this includes you. Once you connect to this understanding, you regain the power of your very source. Rather than seeing yourself as separate from the miraculous power of God, you claim your divinity and reclaim all the potency that God is. You are a principal work, a fragment of God Himself.”
Joseph Campbell said that humanity’s search for the Supreme has been encumbered by conceiving the Absolute as a personality. He wrote, “As soon as you smash the local provincial ‘God-form,’ God comes back. And that’s what Nietzsche meant when he wrote that God is dead. Nietzsche was himself not an atheist in the crude sense; he was a man of enormous religious spirit and power. What he meant was that the God who’s fixed and defined in terms appropriate for 2,000 years ago is no longer so today. The divine lives within you. And what is God? God is a personification of that world-creative energy and mystery which is beyond thinking and beyond naming.”
As discussed by Jeffrey Moses in Oneness:Great Principles Shared by All Religions, the theme of being one with the Oneis echoed throughout the world’s religions:
- Hinduism: “God bides hidden in the hearts of all.”
- Shintoism: “Do not search in distant skies for God. In man’s own heart is He found.”
- Sikhism: “Why wilt thou go into the jungles? What do you hope to find there? Even as the scent dwells within the flower, so God within thine own heart ever abides. Seek Him with earnestness and find Him there.”
- Christianity: “The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: neither shall they say, “Lo, here! Or, lo there! For, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.”
- Confucianism: “What the undeveloped man seeks is outside; what the advanced man seeks is within himself.”
I hope this discussion about the Ground of All Being helps answer your toughest questions that naturally arise when struggling with life’s greatest changes and challenges. The great news is that we each are part and parcel of the same intelligence and energy that created and sustains the universe. As such, we each have everything we need to survive and thrive through all events.
May you always deeply know who you are, why you’re here, and Who walks beside/ within you always . . . and live accordingly.
Thank you for sharing this article with others who can use it. I hope that this article – and taking the action steps discussed – help you feel more happy, healthy, peaceful, clear, and energetic. You deserve to feel that way and the world needs your greatest gifts.
Life and love are forever. Shall we live accordingly?
Mark Pitstick, MA, DC is an author, master’s clinical psychologist, holistic chiropractic physician, frequent media guest, and workshop facilitator. He is director of The Soul Phone Foundation, co–founder of Greater Reality Living Groups,and board member of Helping Parents Heal. Dr. Pitstick can help you know and show– no matter what is going on around you – that your earthly experience is a totally safe, meaningful, and magnificent adventure amidst forever. Visit About Dr. Mark Pitstickfor his full bio.
Note: Because of his many outreaches, Dr. Pitstick can no longer answer complex and multiple questions from individuals. However, he has created many resources to answer your biggest questions and provide holistic solutions to your toughest challenges.
- Free articles, radio shows, and newsletters:
- Articles for Transformation and Healing(oncomhome page) address the most common questions, concerns, and challenges about life, physical death, and afterlife.
- Radio Shows(top tab of com) share his answers and those of top experts to life’s biggest questions: “Who am I? Why am I here? What happens after I die? Is there a God? Why is there so much suffering? Why must children die?” and others.
- Soul Proof Newsletterswith information and inspiration are delivered by email monthly. To subscribe, visit com
- Audio Products – CDs and digital downloads – allow you to benefit from quality sessions at home for a fraction of the cost of an office visit.These Transformational Audio Productsuse deep relaxation, visualization, breath work, and other techniques to access your inner wisdom, visit with “departed” loved ones, release old wounds and lower energy emotions, evaluate your pre-birth planning, have past life regressions, and more.
- Books and documentary film: these products (visit Shop) provide specific information to help you know and showthat you are a forever being of consciousness / energy / spirit and how you can live accordingly.
- Webinars and workshops: to learn about these and other updates, subscribe to the free email newsletters at SoulProof.comand SoulPhone.org.5. Greater Reality Living Groups: Dr. Pitstick and Dr. Gary Schwartz co-founded the organization for local and online groups. For more information, visit Greater Reality Living Groups.6. SoulPhone Newsletter:Receive research and development updates on this life and world transformative spirit communication technology being developed at the Laboratory for Advancement in Consciousness and Health at the University of Arizona. A prototype of the first device, the SoulSwitch, may be reliably functioning as soon as 2018. This breakthrough will constitute 100% scientific proof that life continues after physical death and the many wonderful benefits that accompany that knowledge. To receive updates, join the newsletter at SoulPhone.org.
- Coaching/Counseling Session:these can occur in person, by phone, or on Zoom. To learn more, visit Coaching/Counseling Session
Disclaimer:This information is not designed to replace medical or psychological care. My remarks are based on over forty-five years of study, training, personal experience, and professional service. Extensive clinical, scientific, and empirical evidence supports much, but not all, of what I say. My current best understandings may change over time. I do not claim to have all the answers or the only answers. My hope is that this information assists you to consider what makes the most sense to you.