Identify and Fulfill Your Soul’s Missions
by Dr. Mark Pitstick
“How can I know my highest purposes?” is a very common and important question.
Margaret, an older female in North Carolina, told my workshop group that she didn’t know what her mission was. “I’ve tried and tried to figure it out,” she stated, “and I can’t come up with anything.”
In an attempt to help clarify her life purpose, I asked how she spent her time. “That’s just it” she said. “Over the last seven years, I’ve helped eight friends and family members who were very ill and stayed with them until they passed on. I’ve been so busy that I don’t have time to figure out my soul’s missions.” The group began to laugh as the woman heard what she just said and experienced an ‘aha’ moment.
If only all questions were so easy to solve.
Realizing your nature as an eternal, infinite, and integral soul bestows many gifts. One is trusting yourself enough to follow your greatest joys. What clearer way could Creator reveal your unique path than by what you are excited and passionate about? As Joseph Campbell said: “If you follow your bliss, you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there the whole while, waiting for you, and the life you ought to be living is the one you are living.”
Follow your heart, do what you feel called to do. Trust your intuition, that wise inner voice that guides you about every aspect of your life. The pieces of life’s puzzle will fall in place as more and more people—starting with you—pursue their bliss. It’s like the old hide the button game: when you’re enthusiastic, you’re getting hotter.
Your soul, in alignment with divine order, chose important missions before you came to earth. Clues to those missions are revealed by your greatest dreams and desires. You and everyone else have life visions and special talents to share. Universe supports everyone, especially those who intend to bring peace, joy, love and light to the fore on earth.
This is not just lofty, impractical spiritual advice; it’s useful information that can increase the quality and, likely, the quantity of your life. For example, the most common time for heart attacks is early Monday morning. Day after day, year after year of following a path that’s not in alignment with your highest purpose can eventually impact your anatomical heart.
I’ve counseled a number of persons who hated their work, but were afraid to follow their bliss. “After I retire, then I’ll start that little business I’ve always dreamed of,” they say. When I ask about their life’s dream, they invariably pause for a moment. Then their eyes light up as they describe what they would do “ifonly…” The truth is, each personcanfollow his or her calling. Doing so, at least part-time, is a key to experiencing heaven on earth.
Attending to your soul’s mission is usually a multi-dimensional process. Most people have numerous roles in life—family member, significant other, friend, worker, church member, community participant,and individual. Following your bliss doesn’t mean forsaking all other roles and just focusing on one aspect. On the contrary, being totally successful and achieving your soul’s mission means meeting all your roles impeccably.
Fulfilling your various roles can be challenging, but it’s possible. Making a commitment to identify and pursue your dreams is a first step. Some people have the circumstances and chutzpah to make abrupt changes and follow their bliss full time. Others may choose to make a more gradual transition over time. Whichever path you choose, start now!
Let yourselfdream for a moment using your fullest imagination, then answer this question: “If you knew you could not fail, how would you live?” Let the images flow and feel the excitement as, perhaps for the first time, you become aware of your soul’s callings. Following them will put you in touch with the joy and purpose that is your birthright.
At the same time, be wise about it. A Middle Eastern saying about this is: “Trust Allah, but tie up your camel.” Daily living requires a certain income to survive so don’t rush off and quit your day job prematurely. Stay with your current work and expand your services until you naturally grow intoyour higher calling.
To begin identifying your soul’s purpose, close your eyes, let yourself become relaxed, and ask for assistance from God and the Heavenly host. Give thanks for guidance and assistance in realizing your soul’s missions. Then listen quietly for that still small voice within. Note anycluesthat arise spontaneously such as words, pictures, feelings, colors, people and places. Now answer the following questions by noting the very first responses that spontaneously arise:
- What are you naturally good at?
- What would you do if money were no object?
- What would you do if you had only one year to live?
- What would you do without pay because you enjoy it?
- What do you read and talk about in your spare time?
- What chokes you up, gives you goose bumps, cold chills, and tears in your eyes or pressure over your chest?
- How do you feel called to assist others and global transformation?
Don’t think that your soul’s mission has to single-handedly change the world. The old church hymn, “Brighten the corner where you are” lends a hint. Do the best you can within your sphere of influence and know that’s enough. Let your compassionate heart show you who needs help and how. And don’t forget to put yourself on your list of priorities.
Someday you will fly away from this demanding but wonderfully instructive classroom. Until then, you have special missions and purposes to share at this time and place. Your task is to learn, love, serve, enjoyand leave this planet a better place than when you arrived. Why not do so with style and graceas a totally successful human who clearly remembers your magnificent soul nature!
* * * * * * *
Thank you for sharing this article with others who can use it. I hope that this article – and taking the action steps discussed – help you feel more happy, healthy, peaceful, clear, and energetic. You deserve to feel that way and the world needs your greatest gifts.
Life and love are forever. Shall we live accordingly?
Mark Pitstick, MA, DC is an author, master’s clinical psychologist, holistic chiropractic physician, frequent media guest, and workshop facilitator. He is director of The Soul Phone Foundation, co–founder of Greater Reality Living Groups,and board member of Helping Parents Heal. Dr. Pitstick can help you know and show– no matter what is going on around you – that your earthly experience is a totally safe, meaningful, and magnificent adventure amidst forever. VisitAbout Dr. Mark Pitstickfor his full bio.
Note: Because of his many outreaches, Dr. Pitstick can no longer answer complex and multiple questions from individuals. However, he has created many resources to answer your biggest questions and provide holistic solutions to your toughest challenges.
- Free articles, radio shows, and newsletters:
- Articles for Transformation and Healing(oncomhome page) address the most common questions, concerns, and challenges about life, death, and afterlife.
- Radio Shows(top tab of com) share his answers and those of top experts to life’s biggest questions: “Who am I? Why am I here? What happens after I die? Is there a God? Why is there so much suffering? Why must children die?” and others.
- Soul Proof Newsletterswith information and inspiration are delivered by email monthly. To subscribe, visit com
- Audio Products – CDs and digital downloads – allow you to benefit from quality sessions at home for a fraction of the cost of an office visit.These Transformational Audio Productsuse deep relaxation, visualization, breath work, and other techniques to access your inner wisdom, visit with “departed” loved ones, release old wounds and lower energy emotions, evaluate your pre-birth planning, have past life regressions, and more.
- Books and documentary film: these products (visit Shop) provide specific information to help you know and showthat you are a forever being of consciousness / energy / spirit and how you can live accordingly.
- Webinars and workshops: to learn about these and other updates, subscribe to the free email newsletters at SoulProof.comand SoulPhone.org.5. Greater Reality Living Groups: Dr. Pitstick and Dr. Gary Schwartz co-founded the organization for local and online groups. For more information, visit Greater Reality Living Groups.
6. SoulPhone Newsletter:Receive research and development updates on this life and world transformative spirit communication technology being developed at the Laboratory for Advancement in Consciousness and Health at the University of Arizona. A prototype of the first device, the SoulSwitch, may be reliably functioning as soon as 2018. This breakthrough will constitute 100% scientific proof that life continues after physical death and the many wonderful benefits that accompany that knowledge. To receive updates, join the newsletter at SoulPhone.org.
7. Coaching/Counseling Session:these can occur in person, by phone, or on Zoom. To learn more, visit Coaching/Counseling Session
Disclaimer:This information is not designed to replace medical or psychological care. My remarks are based on over forty-five years of study, training, personal experience, and professional service. Extensive clinical, scientific, and empirical evidence supports much, but not all, of what I say. My current best understandings may change over time. I do not claim to have all the answers or the only answers. My hope is that this information assists you to consider what makes the most sense to you.